Friday, October 17, 2014

So Many Firsts...

So many firsts....
FIRST of all, the day before yesterday was a first for me. I woke up at 3am with a crazy bad headache. I'd never been woken up by one. So I was up for a few hours, took the meds, and finally went back to sleep. Sadly, I only had 3 more hours of sleep before starting my day. So I was tired and this is a bad thing. Halfway through my day, I threw in the towel, went home, and slept 3 ½ hours to get rid of the headache brought on by being tired. Wow, what a waste of a day!!

Then I was thinking last night in the shower about how many firsts I am looking at overcoming in a week. Starting with the smaller firsts... It will be the first IV I've ever had. It will be the first anesthesia I've ever had (with the exception of a local-I did have one wisdom tooth pulled!) It will be the first time I stay overnight in a hospital. It will be the first time I have stitches. It will be the first time I have staples. It will be the first surgery I have. I know they are doing it carefully and purposefully, but it will be the first “broken bone” that I have (kind of different because it won't be healing and all that though.) So that's a lot of firsts!

It is scheduled for a week from TODAY! I am getting excited. It feels a little like nervous, but I think I'm going to go with excited. I'm already thinking about the stuff that I'm going to pack and things not to remember. I plan to publish my “list” for future reference if nothing else. Then with a lot of plotting and planning I will have a post-op update of things I wish I'd brought and things that I didn't need.

I am praying that it's a late morning surgery. I don't know how well I would do with being there at 5am, no food, no drinks, no anything! They are kind enough to allow me to brush my teeth as long as I spit, not swallow. I also don't want to drag all my family members out of bed in the middle of the night (although I told them they don't all need to be there-they don't listen!) I'm hoping just to keep a small “party” in the waiting area, parents and husband. Of course, I'm not going to tell anyone “no, don't come!” because if they want to be there for me, I will let them. I would just rather they visit that evening or when I come home so I can actually enjoy their company and interact a little. When coming out of recovery, I'm going to be dopey and out of it, probably not even remember that they are there...

Anyways, one more week and I will have a lot more to report on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment